Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Preparation for 35km LSD this Saturday

The scary 35km LSD will be the next dish on the plate this weekend.  Though hard to swallow, mama said we just have to swallow it no matter what.  Mama also said... "good medicine is bitter", "suffer first and enjoy later".  If I want to enjoy my first marathon in 6 weeks time, I better taste the bitter medicine now.

Extreme Time Management
As I will be in outstation this Sunday morning, the LSD has to be done on Saturday morning... a working day for me.

If I had to work on this Saturday, I must complete the run by 8:30am.

From the past experience, I predict that I need 4hours 30minutes to complete the run.  Therefore, I have to start running at 4am in the morning.

If I had to start running at 4am, I have to wake up at 3:15am to complete my small and big business before the run.

If I had to wake up at 3:15am in the morning, to get a minimum of 7-hour sleep, I have to sleep at 8:15pm on Friday night.

I have never slept at 8:15pm on Friday night, probably, for the past 20 years (except when I fell sick)!  So, the best is to make myself really really really sleepy on Friday night.

To make myself really really really sleepy on Friday night, I need to have very little sleep on Thursday night.  If I slept at 3am on Thursday night (or Friday morning)... hopefully I will be very very very sleepy on Friday night.

So, to complete my scary 35km medicine LSD at 8:30am this Saturday morning and still make it to work, I need to have very little sleep on Thursday night... so that I will feel really really sleepy on Friday night... so that I can sleep at 8:15pm on Friday night... so that I can wake up at 3:15am on Saturday morning... so that I can start running at 4am... so that I can complete the run at 8:30am... so that I can make it to work.

Do I have the discipline to follow the Extreme Time Management?

Carbo loading?
Do I need to carbo load like what they suggest for marathon preparation?  Do I have to fill my body with extra carbohydrate so that I have enough fuel for the run?  I don't know.

Anyway, in addition to my normal meals, I will eat an extra 8 potatoes on Thursday and 8 potatoes on Friday.  Though a fan of spaghetti, I found that potatoes are easier to consume in large quantity.

Besides, I will try not to skip any proper meal for the whole week.  Yes, works always rob my proper meal... and I will try to stop that from happening.

Anxious, excited, anticipating!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger LIFE IS GREAT said...

Hello YS...
i really respect you,..the way u train+the time table you set.I just can't follow your good example,probably i am less discipline.
Don't worry..u can make it.I trust you can!!
BYW are you running alone during your training?

10:54 PM  
Blogger YS said...

Thanks for the encourangement!

Know what, I was 'revising' your 2008 and 2009 blog posts for hints and tips... am really benefited and appreciate the write-up of your various researches during your early day of running.

Yeah... sad to say, i've been running alone since day-1. There have been no single person in my social circle who would like to attempt long distance run as sport or recreation... strange enough. Those in our age group (late 30 and early 40) are either doing 'tai chi', golfing, gym, yoga, or nothing. Some rather pay expensive membership fee to go to gym or yoga class, something that I really don't understand. Especially among some kiasu KL-ian, it sounds 'cool' or 'in' when you are a member of gym or sign-up for yoga class.
While running along my usual running route, I can hardly see other regular runners... not more than five... all are 'uncle' class.

Though there are many running groups and clubs in KL, some with nice blogs too, but the lazy-me just do not have the urge to drive to their gather places. Anyway, will surely one day try to join them and make some friends... say the runners in Runner Malaysia, etc.

Really pai seh to say, as a KL-ian, I have never been to the famous/notorious Double Hill route... which you ran in the New Balanced 30k (or was it Pacesetter 30k?)...:)

For the time being until SCKLM, guess I will still be a lonely runner running with the real 'early birds', literally...:) :)

Really hope to get at least one like-mind running buddy, one day.

10:57 PM  
Blogger LIFE IS GREAT said...

Salute you...YS.
I don't think I can run alone for 35km early in the morning now.Maybe yes during the initial period of running but as I can remember I never done it alone b4.
Respect your determination!!

4:47 PM  
Blogger LIFE IS GREAT said...

Hello my friend...

how is life?how is your training?

Just 3 more weeks to go..but I am sure you can do it since you have train so hard.

11:29 AM  
Blogger YS said...

Hi "LIFE IS GREAT" (aka Foo)... me has just celebrated the King's B-day with my final LSD yesterday without much drama... thanks goodness... will blog about my final two LSDs shortly.

Thanks for the support!

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home