Sunday, August 08, 2010

The Top Enemy of Morning Runs

As a person who have recently found love in long distance running, my initial presumption of the factors that could potentially stop me from running might be issues like injuries, sickness, lack-of-discipline, family/work commitment, and perhaps, age.

However, to my utmost surprise, I found out that the top enemy of my morning runs has been this...

They always appear in group wondering on the street along my running route.  The group is/are usually made up of one bitch surrounded by a few desperate males.

When a harmless lone morning runner ran pass them, even from a far distance, they would start turning their head and attention to you, one after another.

Then, one of them would take the lead to charge to you like you have taken their bitch away while others started to follow.

What could the poor lone runner do?  Run or confront?  For me, knowing that I could not possibly out-run them, I always choose to confront them.  How?  First, I would stop my run and stand still.  If that did not stop them from charging to me, yell at them.  If that failed too, started giving them "flying" leg knowing that I was wearing something hard on their jaws.

There have been countless number of intense confrontations between myself and such creatures in the wee hour of quite morning.  Sometimes, I started to worry that the neighbourhood might report the incident to the authority for potential break-in or firing gunshots to me.

So far, I had been lucky as the confrontation usually ended in few seconds.

However, my luck went dry last Monday morning at 5am!  1km into my run, I was confronted by a group of canines again.  While hotly and panickly confronting the group, I felt a striking pain and a 'crackkzzz' sound propogated from my right ankle... I twisted my right ankle!  Immediately, I knew my run was over... my runs for the next few days/weeks are gone too!

I hate to pick up an injury like that, it is too stupid.  I know some of you might think that me, as a typical Chinese, might have eaten their sibling or ancestor before.  The fact is, I have never eaten canine before despite being a Chinese.

To dated, I have already missed my run for a good 6 days!  Right ankle is still protesting even when I walk... let alone run... forget about long distance run.

What can I say?!

4 Comments:

Blogger LIFE IS GREAT said...

Aiyo..ankle injured due to dogs!Hope you recover soon.

Next time just ignore the dogs.Run as usual when they approach you.Don't be scare..they can smell it and don't threaten them or they will remember you.

Maybe you can give them some foods and be friend with them.Then you can have a peaceful run.Ha..ha..ha.

BTW I like dogs..i got 3 at homes.So far no stray dogs chased me.

5:11 PM  
Blogger YS said...

yes, i should try a non-agressive political approach instead of confrontation... must win their heart instead of overpowering them. Anyway, they can't be known as "men's best friends" for no reason...:)

7:49 AM  
Blogger LIFE IS GREAT said...

An article on dogs+running:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-527--13610-0,00.html

9:09 PM  
Blogger YS said...

Thanks Foo for the link...:) :)

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home