Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Difficulty of Endurance Activities

From your guts-feeling, list the following activities in rising difficulty.  There is no right or wrong answer, it is just my curiousity of how you view the difficulty of these endurance activities:

1.  To run a sub-4 Full Marathon, i.e. to run a Full Marathon of 42km in less than 4 hours.
(Picture from running.about.com)

2.  To run a 84km Ultra Marathon, i.e. to run 84km in less than 15 hours.
(picture from freshlysaltedwounds.com)

3.  To complete an Ironman race, i.e. to swim 3.8km followed by cycling 180km followed by running 42km in less than 17 hours.

What is your pick?

My Pick
I have not done any of the listed activities.  However, it would be "cool" if I can try one or two of these activities at least once in my lifetime.  Now, there are 'inverted comma' around the word 'cool'... meaning that it may be something nice for no reason.  I am not a linguist, but I think English is just one of the most ambigious language in the world... with words like 'cool' and 'quite'.

My pick is 2,3,1... being
Least difficult: 84km Ultra Marathon,
Median difficult: Ironman,
Most difficult: Sub-4 Full Marathon.

Now, before you 'hantam' me for being arrogant... I did NOT say Ultra Marathon is easy.  I might not be able to do it in my lifetime.  I was just saying it is the least difficult among the listed endurance activities, from my 'guts' feeling.

My guesses
For 84km Ultra Marathon, I believe if one had done 'enough' of Full Marathons, he/she can do Ultra.  I believe by training and with persistency, "anyone" can do it.  Well, when I said "anyone" can do it, I meant "anyone" who has the persistency, craziness, stubbornness.
Hopefully I can be an 'Ultraman' by 2012 before human race is extinct.

For Ironman, in addition to pure stubbornness, one needs a lot of time, suitable venue, and extra investment on apparel and equipment.  Again, with determination, anyone can do it.  Hopefully I can evolve from an Ultraman into an Ironman after 2012.  My sons will be delighted to have an Ironman as dad.

For Sub-4 Full Marathon, in addition to stubbornness, time, suitable venue, extra investment, 2 more important factors: genetic built and age.  Sub-4 Full Marathon would certainly be something, like licking my elbow or my nose, that I canNOT achieve within my current lifetime.

What do you think?

p.s. Did you try to lick your elbow and your nose?  geek...geek...geek...

5 Comments:

Blogger LIFE IS GREAT said...

YS..

everything is possible.It's our mind which said "NO".
Sub 4h marathon is achiveable for you.Just train more.sure can one!

1:55 PM  
Blogger YS said...

Hi Foo... thanks for the encouragement...:)

12:56 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

I think Ultra 84k and Tri Ironman can be achieve, but lots of training. YS, I think you can do it. Full Mara under 4, that will be my dream. Go YS, go.

3:05 PM  
Blogger YS said...

Hi Steve, bet Ultra 84k and Ironman should be on your plate now... go... go... go...

8:14 AM  
Blogger francis said...

Believe me. You can definitely do it.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home