Tuesday, March 15, 2011

T(sunami)-Wave Scare, My Very Own Version

The past 3 days have been the most confusing days since I took up running as hobby...

Right after Japan was hitted by one of the most devastating Tsunami-wave on Friday, I was diagnosed with a "T-wave inversion" in the ECG plot of my heart.

The Scare
It all started after I was "highlighted" following the annual full medical check-up last Saturday.  With recent "active" life-style and "watch-ful" eyes on diet, I was anticipating the check-up with a hope for grade-A for my cardio.

However, I learnt yet another lesson of life... we don't know what we gonna get, by Forrest Gump, the most famous runner!

Despite all the running mileages, the items that I "failed" are the least expected on a person with "active" life-style.  I am "highlighted" (the entries in medical report are highlighted for abnormality) for:
1.  being overweight (after losing 3kgs, more works to be done), still;
2.  having unhealthy waist to hip ratio (after taking away 2 inches);
3.  having high cholesterol (food related, controllable);
4.  having high blood pressure (food and gene-related, controllable);
5.  abnormal ECG with T-wave inversion!

I am easy and cool with item-1 to item-4... but item-5 is really a big BOMB thrown to me!  I am scare out of my mind.  Oh no... I had been running ALONE out there hours and hours all these while... and what if?!  Was I just fortunate that I was not hit by the "un-fortunate" in the wee hour run?

I had little idea on the implication of T-wave inversion in ECG.  The consultant doctor did not elaborate further except asking me to see a cardiologist for a stress test.  I guessed there might be something beyond her in explaining the details to me.

Immediately, the Sunday long run... and in fact, all runs (short or long) are self-called-off until a green light is given by the pro.  I was disappointed and stressed-out even before the so-called "stress" test.  Confidence and optimism was washed clean by my version of Tsumani-wave.

A Little Hope
Sunday, long run called off... laid in bed till 9:30am, first time for the past six months.  Since had nothing more important to do, I decided to try my luck for some insights into this "T-wave inversion" thingy over the Internet.

Thanks or no-thank to Wiki, all information implied that the T(sunami)-wave-inversion thingy on ECG could be serious.  All activities that can cause huffing-and-puffing were avoided... and suddenly, I felt so weak... like a heart patient.

Information is negative and de-moralising, so far, until I came across this term... "athlete's heart" at the following links:
http://tritwins.blogspot.com/2009/12/do-you-have-athletes-heart-syndrome.html
and further into...
http://athletesheart.blogspot.com/2009/12/do-you-have-athletes-heart.html
I saw a little hope after reading the two articles and comments left by other readers.

So, with this T-wave-inversion thingy, I could be either in the sky or hell.

The Verdict
Monday, visited the local hospital the first moment.  Made an appointment with the cardiologist for "stress test" on Tuesday.

Tuesday, with worries... dress in cotton T-shirt and short, with running gear on feet preparing for "stress test", walked into the cardiologist clinic hoped for the best while prepared for the worse.

The doctor, in his friendly face, did a lengthy questioning session on my family and my own medical history, examined me using stethoscope at multiple places, started browsing through my medical reports... while counselling me on what to and what not to eat.

YS: But... wait, doctor, you have forgotten about the "T-wave inversion" issue... which is my main reason here.
Doc: No... no... I am not worry about the ECG abnormality.
YS: (huh???)

The doctor spent 5 seconds on the ECG before flipping to the next page... continued to lecture me on how to eat healthily.

YS: can I still run?
Doc: yes... you should.
YS: (phewwww!)

YS: okay, you said I must cut down my salt intake, can I take sport drink... they have lot of sodium.
Doc: after you sweat-out, you need to.
YS: (phewwww!)

Doc: Now, before I put you on medication, I give you 1 month to bring down your blood pressure... by changing your life-style.  You must eat at home as much as you can.  Try eating oat/cereal, the "kuai lou" oat, for breakfast.  Every time when you start eating, throw 1 spoonful of food away.  With that, you will consume 3x30=90 spoons less in a month.  Also, please reduce on salt and sugar.  Wan tan mee... ask them not to put soya souce (YS: can meh? err... maybe, will try Sarawak mee).  KFC, de-skin before you eat (YS: not difficult).  Burger, do not add tomato/chili souce (YS: easy).  Less peanut if you go karaoke (YS: I don't go karaoke)... etc.  Coffee and tea, no sugar or just artificial sweetener (YS: do-able).

YS: I drank 3 to 4 cups of coffee a day, is that bad for blood pressure?
Doc: in fact, that is good to calm yourself down.  Green tea is even better.
YS: (hurray!)

YS: is there such thing as "over-training"?
Doc: do you feel chest-pain?  Breathless going upstair?
YS: no.
Doc: then it is ok.  Listen to you body.
YS: (isn't that what we've been told? hehe...)

Doc: I will see you in 1 month.

... time is counting down...

The Lessons
The lessons learnt from my version of T(sunami)-wave:

1.  "Active" life-style is NOT a ticket for you to eat-like-pig!  I am fortunate that I found this out earlier.  Do not think that you can eat fried chicken, 'siew yok', and fatty-crapb as you wish after 30k run.

2.  "Active" life-style is NOT a ticket to skip medical check-up... please do your check-up!  THIS Friday night, stop eating at 8pm.  THIS Saturday, skip your long run, wake up at 7am, head to the clinic for a full medical check-up.  You just have to do this once a year.  You may have abnormal ECG too.

3.  You might have an "athlete's heart" that shows abnormality in ECG... good or bad... I don't know.

Now... with mostly good news... am into another battle field... a fight to bring down by blood pressure and to lost further weight.  The 1-month clock is ticking down...

2 Comments:

Blogger LIFE IS GREAT said...

YS...

The T wave inversion was seen on which ECG leads?

5:24 PM  
Blogger YS said...

Hi Foo... am not really sure, am a medically "blank" person...:) Anyway, posted my ECGs in the next post, see if they made sense... Thanks!

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home